Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wait, what season is it?

Naturally, as soon as I wrote the previous post, we had a solid week and a half without any rain, so I began taking the daily trek down the hill to the well with my yellow jerry can in hand, and came huffing and puffing back up the hill with my yellow jerry can on my head. This caused quite a stir with all the locals, and was a huge hit-- As I walked along, usually with my neighboring children, I was met with wide grins, lots of laughs, and my favorite outcry of surprise, "Ye baba we!" (which sounds something like yay baba waaaaaay). I also met a few awesome women during these trips, and have since visited some of them in their homes, teaching them a little English and working on my Kinyarwanda. Needless to say, fetching water from the well is now one of my favorite activities (work and workout and community interaction combined, what could be better?). However, the rains have hit again pretty intensely in the last few days, giving off some excellent lightening shows, making it completely unnecessary to head down to the well, and making me seriously question what season we are in...The line between rainy and dry is much less clear than I had expected :-P

In other news, Rwanda has a community work day one Saturday a month, called umuganda, in which everyone from neighboring villages or towns come together and work on some kind of local project. It's a really unique government initiative, promoting both unity among communities and local development. Umuganda was a few weeks ago, and several hundred people gathered at my school to work on finishing the construction of a new classroom building. I headed over with my next door neighbor, and along the way we joined groups of women wearing bright igitenge (patterned wraps/dresses/etc) and carrying the ever present yellow jerry cans of water. When we got to the school, there was already a big crowd, dozens of jugs sitting on the ground waiting to be used for who knows what (I never did find out...) and a growing pile of rock chunks next to the building. As we stood there awaiting instruction, a long line of people appeared out of the woods, and one by one dropped the large rock chunks they were carrying on their heads onto the pile. I joined them as they headed back for more, and all the way down the hillside into the valley and fields below stretched a long line of brightly dressed women and muscular men, each with one, two, sometimes three large rocks stacked on their heads, slowly making their way uphill to the school. I am continually impressed with how things are done here! Again, I was met with all kinds of reactions (mostly shock, disbelief, and perhaps some excitement, ok lots of excitement) as I had rocks stacked onto my head and started making my way up. I'm pretty sure they were actually trying to test my strength, because the guys kept giving me bigger rocks than all the other women, but I showed them what's what and kept coming back for more :-P It was a great way to hang out with the locals, and to show them that the muzungu can get dirty and do work, too.

Alright, this is getting long, so finally, local elections for all kinds of community-level leaders took place two weeks ago. I got to watch the process, as they were held on a Friday morning right outside of my school. It was very different than elections in America, as you might guess :) But it worked really well from what I could see, and was cool to watch. So, everyone breaks into groups based on their village (umudugudu) and then the people who are nominated stand and say a few words to their group. Then, the nominees spread themselves out in a line, turn around so they can't see, and everyone else lines up behind the one they want to vote for. Officials count how many are in each line, and bam, winner is known instantaneously. Sometimes, there was absolutely no question, with a single file line stretching 80 or 100 people long, and others were more equal. The elections were supposed to be finished around noon, but when I came back around 1pm to see what was going on, they were still going strong, and weren't over when I left again around 3. Mayors, leaders of the youth, news and communications, security, sports, health, women...I didn't catch all the positions but those were a few.

So thats most of the news here. Busy with classes, entertaining my 5 year old neighbor (who is now pretty much a housemate, we feed her at least once a day, usually twice), hanging out with my real housemate (the other female teacher at my school), and still trying to get to know more people in the community...Good and busy :)

2 comments:

  1. So good to hear how you are doing, and to catch a glimpse of what your life is like. I would love to see you carrying the water and rocks on your head, you are pretty much a beast. I love you so much, and miss you tons. Talk to you soon Ju! love, Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. HUSSY
    Sorry I have taken so long to write to you. I, like Kristin, would LOVE to see you carry water and rocks. I'm sure they were not trying to test your strength, as much as already have marveled in it and just getting as much out of you as they know they can. For your information, I have started posting pictures online of the food I have cooked. I thought of you promptly since I should probably make some scones and corn "muffins" soon to put online. Can't wait till you comeback. Hope you are well. I ate some "just mango slices" from Trader Joes for you....LOVE THEM.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete