Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Can icecream be sent in the mail??

Yikes! I have now been in Rwanda for five weeks and 5 days (but who’s counting?). It’s about time to give y’all a look into things…I’ll break it down…

THANKSGIVING!

We had a pretty epic Thanksgiving celebration, with mass amounts of food prepared for close to 100 people, all on little outdoor charcoal burners and a giant charcoal pit for the turkeys. We did our best to replicate the classics, like green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potatoes, hot apple spiced juice, and of course turkey and gravy. Dessert was a little trickier, but we managed to make something along the lines of apple crisp along with frosted cookies. I am still fruitlessly searching for a pumpkin or some variety of squash because this pumpkin pie craving just won’t fade!! It was a great time though—I’m not sure I’ve ever had such an intense food coma…

TRAINING

There are 68 of us trainees, living in the city of Nyanza, about 2 hours southwest of the capital city Kigali. Our days look something like: food, class, food, class, food, sleep. With some breaks here and there, and lots of wandering through the community, town center, and market trying not to look like a complete spectacle (Not very successfully J…) I have made myself a little too well known in two particular shops—one with Cadbury chocolate bars, and one with lollipops that taste like butterscotch. Yup. Typical.

I don’t have a whole lot to say about training—we’re learning Kinyarwanda, which is pretty hard but overall going well—I really enjoy it and feel like I’ve made pretty decent progress. We’re also learning some teaching methodology/strategies, which I don’t feel quite as adept at yet, but it’s coming along. Buhoro buhoro, slowly slowly, as they say here.

This week we started “model school” where we work in teams to teach/observe each other teaching for four hours each day. Our students are local kids who chose to come to our classes during their school break. The classes range from about 25-60 students, and the levels of English vary considerably, so its pretty challenging, but definitely beneficial. We’ll be continuing model school and language training for the next four weeks. During the last week of December we’ll wrap training up, and swear in during the first week of January. Then, its right off to site and…well…the real deal!

SITE-- Nyaratunga cell, Nyarubuye sector, Kirehe district, Rwanda

My site is located in Rwanda’s southeastern-most district, Kirehe. Compared to where we have been living during training, the area is much lower in elevation, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t still incredibly hilly, which I love. The highest point in the district is about a 5km hike/walk from my house, and from there you have a view of some of Rwanda’s lakes and a national park to the north, Tanzania to the east, and Burundi to the south. I’m really close to the border with Tanzania, and supposedly Kiswahili is more widely spoken in this part of Rwanda, although I didn’t encounter it much during my visit.

But let’s back up to getting to my site. I’m about 4 ½ hours from the capital Kigali, but my village is pretty far off the main paved road, and up a series of pretty steep dirt roads. So, I get off the bus on the main road and from there take a motorcycle taxi the rest of the way. Depending on how fast or slow the driver wants to go, this is between 30 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes… I would say both of those are extremes and the trip could comfortably and safely (loosely defined) be completed in 40 minutes, but I’m not the one driving…I was also told that during the long rainy season, there will be times when the dirt roads become impassable even for the motorcycles, in which case I won’t be able to leave my site. The only thing about that is that I’ll have to do a lot of my shopping in the town along the main road…The items I saw for sale in my village included oil, sugar, rice, biscuits, milk, beer, soda, cell minutes, and oddly enough a shoe shop bigger than the one with food? There is a small market next to my house on Saturdays, which I didn’t actually see because I left on Friday, but hopefully that will provide fruits and veggies for the week! During my 5 days at site, I ate plantains twice a day every day as the main component of the meal, so those must be around J

It’s a very rural community—the primary livlihood is subsistence farming (of mostly plantains, haha). Other occupations include primary and secondary school teachers, drivers for either the moto taxis or the buses along the main road, and there is also a USAid sponsored health center nearby so I met a few nurses. Aside from the “town center” (which consists of the little food shop, shoe shop, beer/soda establishment, my house and a few others) the area is a patchwork of fields and homes and some rocky hills than cannot be farmed. The secondary school I will be teaching at, G.S. Migongo, is a 30-minute walk from the center/my house. There is a primary school right across the road from it, and a Catholic church next door, which is also one of the National Genocide Memorial sites. As in many places around Rwanda, my site has a very intense history in terms of the genocide. I won’t get into it here, but if you want to know more of the history in my area you can look up Nyarubuye, Kirehe district.

It will be an intense experience, to say the least. But I’m looking forward to finally settling into a permanent location, getting to know the community, and hopefully getting involved in some of the local activities!

I think that’s more than enough for now. I will try to update this in smaller, more frequent posts in the future! Please hit me up with any questions you have, or just stories and news from home!

6 comments:

  1. Glad things are going well. You are going to become so close to that community in no time. Also remember when you would buy plantains as bananas at rainbow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. See if you can get some red red...that stuff is good and if you think of it as pumpkin pie...you will be very happy for the next two years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie...thank you for the update. I miss you and hope that this syou in great health. I finally learned how to snail-mail things internationally today (lol, im kinda postal illiterate) and hope to communicate with you via this method. Take good care and take some time to breathe.

    Love and hugs,
    Pros

    ReplyDelete
  4. JULIE!! THIS IS SO EXCITING!! I'm so jealous. Also, I'm planning to visit Bryce next summer in Uganda, and I think we should all meet up somewhere, I just want to put that out there.
    Anyway, I thought Rwanda was so beautiful when I was there, and that picture from your front yard is AMAZING!! Not disappointing at all. I could never get sick of that view. Although maybe I could get sick of plantains. Delicious, but still.
    Thanks so much for setting up a blog, I will check it all the time. I'm going to live vicariously through you!
    I love you!
    Catie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie,
    Great view and wonderful descriptions (has anyone ever told you that you are a fantastic writer?)- thanks for setting this up! Now as for the ice cream- hmm, with dry ice and expedited shipping....I'll work on that :) love you, :) Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. julie we miss you! great update glad things are going well, can't wait to hear more...love you lots! b + j

    ReplyDelete